Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Tie-dye with the kids

I have talked about doing tie-dyed projects with the kids but never did it. I was concern they were a little young. Man was I missing out and wrong. First the kids loved it. Sure they had a hard time with rubber bands but it was well worth the hassle.

You need :
Tulip One-Step 12 Color Tie-Dye Kit Super Big
white tee shirts or what you plan on coloring
water and a safe space just incase color falls on the floor
if you want extra rubber bands

 We looked up shirt designs on pintrest and then started.
 Yasser picked a stripe design
 Gill-G picked a swirl (mommy got the honors of doing all the rubber bands)
 All you have to do is add water and shake the containers then pour on.


 Yasser was trying to be super careful.

 Daddy got tired of waiting.


 Hulk man even made his own!!






 Gill-g was trying to only get it on the shirt in the tiny section.    

Yasser feeling comfortable and just went for the coloring.



 The kids finally finished using up the colors they wanted and left to go play while Justin and I made our own stuff.

 We did the bulls eye pattern for Justin's.
Hulk playing in the dye run off trying to become a chameleon. (It will wash off, at some point.)
 Now discussing, I think, colors.

 And we are off.
 I convinced Justin  to do mine so I could take pictures, besides I did all of the rubber bands.


Hulk man "Earth" shirt.

 Justin's Bulls eye



 Yasser's stripe shirt.

Gill-G swirl shirt.

 My dress. I love what Justin did. The top was a stripe pattern and the bottom was swirlish.

The shirts need to dry. I let it dry for awhile then I unrolled it and let it dry some more. 
The more you let it dry before rinsing the more intense the color. 

 You need to rinse it until the water runs clean. You do not want extra dye to get in your washing machine. Skipping this step can and will result in color change with everything you put in the washing machine.






After the water runs clean, wash it and it is ready for wear. 
Now proudly wear it!!!
The kids had so much fun we decided we will be doing this again. If you save the containers you just have to buy the replacement colors.  If you want to tie in a school lesson, this lead to a color conversation with the kids and experimenting with mixing colors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment