Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Brown Sugar

One day a long while back I ran out of brown sugar and was in the middle of a recipe. So I did ever ones favorite thing and pulled up pintrest and looked for a substitute. Time went on and I learn a few things about my sons eating habits and what we were doing wrong. Process food makes the kids completely insane so I started trying to figure out affordable ways to still feed him things without depriving him of anything. Apparently some of the treats I find unnecessary  are a crucial part of childhood. I do not get it but what ever thats why I can be super mom right? Well brown sugar is very important to some baked goods. MY quest began and I started hunting for raw brown sugar and not finding what I wanted. I did get the brilliant plan of making my own. I can go to our local Amish market and buy bulk raw cane sugar less than $10 for a 5 pound bag. That is so cheap it is scary. That I used molasses and sugar.  It really is that simple.

The more molasses the darker and stronger the sugar. For this I used white sugar. This way you can see the color change. 

I poured the molasses first then slowly added sugar until it was the color I wanted. 








The beautiful brown sugar. It taste great the kids like it in the oatmeal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment