Monday, June 2, 2014

Pancake á la mode

We were having pancakes for dinner tonight and my husband made (not the batter he has a thing against batter after one bad experience) pancakes and made a caramel style apple compote for dinner!! The kids were excited and then I decided to make it really special and go á la mode. Who would not want it?



I mean take a good look. Ice cream slowly dripping down over the nice warm apples. 

On top of a nice fluffy pancake. 

So you need to make the pancakes. I have always used Better homes and garden recipe. I just change my flour. Everyone uses all purpose but pancakes and other dessert stuff should be cake flour. Cake flour is ground a bit more and has a lower protein count. 

Buttermilk Pancakes
1 3/4 cups cake flour
2 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten 
1 1/2 cup buttermilk (I just use regular milk)
3 tablespoon cooking oil

Mix all together and make fluffy pancakes. 

Now for the apples 

You need : 
2 tablespoons
1/2 cup brown sugar
( mine sugar tends to be darker because I started making it my self but that is a whole other story.)
3 or 4 apples cored and thinly sliced but with the skin


Throw it all in the pan and cook it down. Now assemble and top with Ice cream and enjoy!!!


For a gluten free version use the Namaste Foods, Gluten Free Waffle & Pancake Mix, 21-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6) . It is very similar in texture to regular and just as yummy.  





No comments:

Post a Comment