Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Moorish crunch salad

I love Jamie Oliver and really started learning about him when he started the food revolution with our food in schools (Pilot). He talks about the process food industry and what is in the food. You really should take the time to watch it might make you think twice about the theory "we all have to die sometime".  His shows are part of the reason I started taking a close look at what we were eating. The more we looked at our health the more I decided it was time for a change. Recently I started running out of ideas for ways to feed my children and picky husband. I love almost any vegetable but I seem to be the only one in the house. I decided to look up Jamie Oliver cook books to see if I liked it. I started with the library and found Jamie's Kitchen. Best cook book ever!!! We love it so much that I may buy it soon. Well the first recipe we tried was the moorish crunch salad and served it with roasted chicken and homemade orange soda.
Dinner family style


My thoughts : minus the raisins (I have a thing with raisins, they are way to sweet and weird) This was delicious.
Yasser did not like the dressing but loved the salad.
Little Man loved the dressing and would not stop dipping things in the jar.
Hulk Man could not get enough of it.
Justin like everything else it was just okay.

Salad stuff before tossing
Moorish Crunch Salad
My pretty purple and white carrots next to the normal orange we are use too. 


4 carrots
3 radishes
1 large or 2 medium apples
rasins
( The recipe calls for 1 handful for fresh chopped parsley and mint. I only used parsley but I put it in my dressing jar.)
4 tablespoons sherry or red wine vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
8 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon tahini
salt and pepper
2 tablespoon sesame seeds.
Close up


I found a really cool bag of organic multi color carrots and Trader Joe's (you would think they pay me but they do not I just love them). I then peeled and thinly sliced the carrots. Thinly slice the radish and quartered and chopped the apples. Toss together and set aside.
This is a great fall mix


In a small mason jar I made my dressing. I put the vinegar and tahini in a jar and shook it. Then I added the parsley and salt and pepper. After shaking it really well ( okay that was a kid job so they would leave me alone) I added the oil. You can just add it all at once and shake but this entertained the kids for a longer time period.
Dressing
I kept the raisin and dressing out and let everyone add what they wanted. This also means I can save the salad and make a left over green salad the next day. 
I think this dinner is a total win and plan on making it in the fall but maybe with pork.
Dinner time!!



No comments:

Post a Comment