Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Popeye's Pasta dinner


Everyone remembers Popeye's muscle growing from eating spinach to save Olive right? Or am I just dating my self now? I always want to be super strong like Popeye and ate tons of spinach but my kids well they are a different story. My kids are not overly fond of the fresh and all natural. Okay just one hates it my boys are willing to give it a try so any way to sneak fresh vegetables into Yasser's dish and get her to eat is a win. Since trying process free we stopped buying pasta. It was also rare for us to even want to make pasta because for the longest time all I had was a hand crank pasta machine. I am telling you the up front to a KitchenAid KSM75WH Classic Plus Tilt-Head 4-1/2-Quart Stand Mixer, White is crazy expensive but it pays off quickly. To make this pasta you will need the KitchenAid KPRA Pasta Roller Attachment for Stand Mixers . 

Green Vegan Pasta 





2 3/4 cup semolina flour
3/4 cup water ( you may need more or less depending on the weather)
1/2 tsp turmeric 
1/2 tsp garlic sea salt ( I love seasoned salt) 
1/8 cup olive oil
 1/2 cup spinach finely chopped


I used fresh spinach and chopped it up. You should really cook it and get the extra water out or it will be hard for the pasta to cook and not turn into mush. 

The easiest part in making to dough is just dumping it all together and let the mixer do most of the work.

Your dough will be a little soft and will take extra kneading to pull together. 
This dough was a little dry which is why it is crumbling just a touch more water and it turned in to a beautiful dough. Let it rest for about 15 minutes before working it.


Now it is time for working it. (This part was hard to take a ton of step by step pictures since I needed my hand to catch the dough.) 
It is easier to divid the dough to have small easy to handle dough chunks because the more to roll it and the more it thins the longer pieces get. 

 You need to be on the smallest setting and there will be a lot of tears but just fold it in half and keep working it until the dough is nice and smooth. Once your dough looks great on setting 1 go to the next size until the dough is as thin as you want. 

I decided I wanted it a tad thicker ( accidentally did it way to thick chasing hulk man ) to cut in a nice fettuccine. 
If you dough is a tad sticky just add more flour or it will stick to the cutter. 


Now for the best part: The Cooking!! 
You need a nice hot pot of salted water boiling and just toss it in. They will sink towards the bottom and then float once cooked. Fresh pasta takes less time to cook than dried store bought. I do not suggest walking away because it will quickly turn into mush if it is left to long. I may have made a huge chunk of mush trying to keep hulk out of trouble. 


 Tada!! it is done and looks yummy. 

So in order for me to make this more of a meal I decided to sauté  some carrots, onion, garlic, chopped sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms and peas. I used some olive oil and then when everything was cooked I added "butter" and severed. Now this is my not so vegan part but I can not live with out it.  Add some Cheese!!


Enjoy!  







No comments:

Post a Comment