Sunday, May 25, 2014

Vegan pie crust

My husband is not a fan then again he is not  a huge pie crust guy and is weird when it comes to pie crust. I like it and lets face it that is the important part right? nice flaky melt in your mouth flavors.


The best part chances are you have everything in the pantry. I am hoping to perfect this recipe so it taste more like the egg and butter crust but for now it will do the trick. 
                                                                                          
Supplies:
bowl 
fork 
measuring spoons 
wood rolling pin and pastry cloths 
Mrs. Anderson's Baking Ceramic Pie Weights or Aluminum foil and beans

Ingredients: 
2 1/2 Cake flour
1 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
small amount of water 
extra flour 

(I forgot to take pictures of making the dough.)

Grease the pie pan. If I do not say it now I may forget to say it again. 

I take all of my flour, salt, sugar and shortening dump it out in a bowl. You need to cut the shortening in the flour until it is course and tiny pieces. Then add a tiny bit of water until the dough comes together. Be very careful because over working the dough will make it tough and not appealing. Turn the dough in a flat disk.  


I then roll the dough in between my pastry cloth so it is easy to flip over on a pie pan. 


 Remove the second pastry sheet. 


Now gently press the crust into a well greased pie pan. 
(hey I remembered to mention a greased pie pan.)


My amazing husband took pictures for me. 



Now gently trim the extra off. 


Poke holes into the bottom of the crust. 


Now to make it all fancy and pretty. Take the extra and roll it out to make cut outs. 



Yasser decided on hearts with me but was upset that I did all the work. 
Preheat the oven to 350 fahrenheit.     

Very carefully put the hearts on the pie crust. Here is the tricky part to need to push it down hard enough it sticks but not so hard you ruin the shape. 








Pretty little hearts all in a row. 

Now brush the crust with a small amount of almond milk. 


Now I go the old school way of weighing my crust down for baking with some good ole aluminum foil and beans.  But you can use pie weights beads. 

Now bake until it has a beautiful golden brown and when you look at the bottom and it does now look raw. ( Only check the bottom if it is in a clear glass pie pan.) Please do not take it out of the pan it will break. 

Now let it cool. 














No comments:

Post a Comment