Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Flour tortillas

I feel tortillas should be a staple in any house not just us crazy Latinas. I use them for pretty much anything chips, burritos, random made up things, and my kids favorite quesadillas. So we are working on making them from scratch again. Going to the store and picking them is great but reading the labels terrified me with some of the listed things. This takes me 10 minutes ( I love my press and I move quick) and the taste can't be beat so it is worth making it. 
If you plan on this being a normal occurrence you should really look into a press they come in two different sizes a large and a small. Check out the quick link to Tortilla Press-heavy Duty Cast Aluminum Tortilla Maker 8''inch-metallic.

Ingredients:
6 cups flour (I use all purpose)
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 1/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups hot water

Mathew was pressing the shortening into the flour. 

He then realized he had flour up his arm and was unsure about that situation. 
Directions: 
Mix flour, salt, baking powder really well. Add shortening and it it into the dough until it if crumbly, it is best to use your hands.

Making sure it was completely incorporated. 

This became a big game. 

This is before we add water. 

Slowly add hot water to make a dough soft enough to roll out. Divid up and roll into balls about the size of a golf ball. I was always told the size of a lemon but they go from really tiny to baseball size and I never understood the whole lemon thing. 
This is way to dry. 

This is to wet. 

It will look like this when it is properly incorporated. 

This is what the press looks like closed. 

Open it all out and you get this. 

Put your ball here. 

Fold it all back into place and squish. 

I open it rotate it and squish it again.

Cook on an ungreased skillet or griddle. 
Toss in a hot pan and cook it. 

I use my hand and rotate it. 

This prevents sticking. Flip it over and rotate it again. 

I like to store my tortillas in a play pot with a bread linen. 

Then continue until done. 

The kids had a blast doing this!!! and we made about 36 small tortillas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment