Thursday, June 4, 2015

Ropa Veja

As promised I am writing my family recipe that is my go to for large gatherings. My mom came from Panama but it was not until I got married that I learned about our family recipes. My grandmother was never good at sharing her recipes.  I buy a pork should for no more than $15 and can feed about 10 people. Once you add rice and beans plus topping it goes even further. If you make this you should really start it a day or even two before you want to serve it. The longer it sits the better it taste.


You will need: 
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Salt & Pepper
2 broken Bay leaves 
crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
1 jalapeƱo, Halved
2 large onions 
2 Carrots 
parsley
4 garlic cloves
pork shoulder ( my Grandmother used Brisket) 
Diced Tomatoes (1 1/2 cup)  and tomato paste
2 tablespoon chicken base
1/2 dry white wine (we do not use this but it adds)
1 tablespoon  white wine vinegar
1 roasted red, yellow, and orange

I start by tossing everything but the meat into the crock pot. I mix it and taste and adjust the taste until I get what we are looking for. Then add the meat and leave it. You do not need to cut the meat because by the end of the day it will just fall apart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment