Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Living with Speech Problems

Yasser hit every single milestone usually ahead of time. She was always our little over achiever and it made it hard when we had Gill-G. I knew that he would not be like his sister because not every kid is holding their own head up at birth. I am not even joking she got the nickname super baby because of it. It was not until Gill-G was 6 months that we started to worry he could not roll over still but the doctor we had at the time love to tell me they all develop at their own time. At 10 months he got up and walked so I figured I may have been over reacting. At 2 years old I started to really worry, my son still had no voice or sounds even. Yasser was talking by the time she was 18 months. At this point we moved back to New York and we had a new doctor. Someone who heard my concerns and saw that they were real serious, we would start our journey to getting real answers. It would be about 6 months before Gill-G would start making baby noises and by the end of the year we would start to understand a few things. We knew what to look for, so when Hulk man showed signs we knew how to handle it. After a year of doing Speech therapy with both boys and two years for Gill-G part of me still is worrisome because some of the time I still have no clue what they are saying and it frustrates them. Yasser is really good with it but I am deciding it is time for something different. Over the next few months we are going to learn ASL as a family. My goal is for us to sign as we talk so one day the boys feel comfortable. Later today we should be done putting up our flash cards and our new books will be here. ( I will post pictures) Our kids has made our life extremely interesting. Learning to live with strong willed, smart, anxiety, autism, apraxia, sensory processing, dermatographia, and allergies can be tricky. As I figure out how this works and what works for us I will share what we are doing. For more information on Apraxia check out http://www.apraxia-kids.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment