Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Starting a school binder


Living with Autism is tricky because the first several years you completey rely on a group of people you have never met before to help you decide what is best for your child. You trust them to help you decide how to handle the melt downs and how to handle the downs as well and the ups. 

When you first meet your team you don't even have an official diagnosis. 
I was lucky that I love to research, I am not even lying I really love to research things. 
Now I am testing the boundaries yet again. I refuse to let my son's disabilities define him. I want him to expand beyond what our society believes to be normal for a kid with autism. 
He has been stealing Yasser's school work and doing it on his own but his social skills are no where near where they should be.


To help keep things in order we have been working on binders and schedules. I started out by searching for cute prompts the create cards to help label everything. We have things for daily chores, brushing our teeth, etc. 
After I colored everything and cut it all out I then made a blue background and cut it all out. I have learned that if I make things his favorite color then he will pay attention and give it a try. 

I also learned to laminate things because sometimes they find there way into water when he does not like something. We bought  Purple Cows Hot and Cold Laminator, Includes 100 3 mil Hot Pockets, Assorted Sizes (3016c) It is also 100% amazing to own. We use it for school and some of our daily lives things. I will be added more pictures as I continue to sort and organize things. But right now our binder is my favorite and I look forward to seeing what happens as we add school. The binder is divided up into different sections. The first has a weekly outline, the second has daily sections which allows us to break up things by the hour and the third has calendars for the entire year. We also have an entire section of school work for when he gets bored and goes for something else to do. 
He will excel despite what the statistics show. 



No comments:

Post a Comment